How Many Grapes Can a Dog Eat?

As a dog owner, you have to be extra careful of what you feed your furry friend. Nonetheless, no matter how much you try to control their diet, dogs have the habit of eating the oddest of things. We know grapes are toxic for dogs, but you can’t completely eradicate the chances of him eating a grape off the floor. Have you ever seen your dog eat a grape and thought something bad was going to happen to him any minute? The truth is, grapes are toxic for dogs. However, how many grapes can a dog eat safely?

how many grapes can a dog eat?

Why Are Grapes Toxic to Dogs?

There is no definitive answer to this question. Over the years, scientists have come up with a lot of theories, but have themselves declined all of them. The first theory was that mold and fungus were growing on the grapes that were toxic to dogs. However, they collected samples of grapes from all over the world, and all of them were just as toxic. 

The second theory was that the seeds of the grapes are what is truly toxic, but seedless grapes caused damage to dogs too. The third theory was that the pesticides used during the cultivation of grapes were what was toxic to the dogs. The scientists checked grapes grown with natural fertilizer, and even those grown from no fertilizer and found the same results. While there have been claims that dogs can be severely allergic to plants like grapes, there is not sufficient evidence that suggests that this is true.

There are no clear reason for why grapes are toxic for dogs

 

What Happens if a Dog Eats Grapes?

Eating grapes leads to acute kidney failure for dogs, and can sadly, be fatal for most.  However, even if it isn’t fatal, eating grapes can lead to a lifetime of sickness and complications for the dog. These symptoms presented themselves anytime from right then to up to a few hours later. Within a few days, the dog might die. You must get your dog to the vet as fast as possible. The dog can suffer from kidney failure as soon as 72 hours after ingesting a grape. By then, his chances of recovery will have become very slim.

How Many Grapes Can a Dog Eat?

For some dogs, even a single grape can lead to death, while for others, even 5-7 grapes lead to complications only. The truth is, there is no fixed amount of grapes that a dog can safely eat. The amount of grapes he can consume without complications is dependent on a dog’s weight, breed, age, and size. Larger, heavier dogs can survive the effect of the toxin easily. However, grapes, even in a small dose, can be fatal to smaller dogs. Nonetheless, even this isn’t the best way to be sure. Even larger breeds like Labradors and German shepherds can suffer fatal consequences from a single grape.

The amount of grapes a dog can eat varies not only from breed to breed, but can only be changed in different members of the same breeds. Still, a basic dosage of the minimum amount of raisins that can cause positioning is 0.03 ounces per pound of the dog’s weight.

The number of grapes a dog can eat depends on his weight

Symptoms of Grape Poisoning

  • Vomiting is usually experienced within 3-15 hours and can be accompanied by diarrhea.
  • Within a day, the abdomen can become sensitive, and tender to the touch.
  • For the next 1-2 days, the dog may be lethargic, weak, and sleepy.
  • The dog may experience severe dehydration, and his skin and gums may turn pale. You need to make sure he drinks lots of water, so you can prevent the next two symptoms.
  • The dog may either produce a lot of urine or have problems urinating at all. Both of these systems can be forerunners of kidney failure, and at this point, the dog’s chances of a complete recovery are near gone. However, he can still be saved.
  • The last symptom of grape poisoning is acute kidney failure, which may occur anywhere from 2-5 days after eating a grape. After this, the dog is near impossible to save.

What to Do if Your Dog Eats a Grape?

It doesn’t matter if your dog ate 1 grape, or 10. You must take him to your vet immediately. The vet will remove the grape from the dog’s system by inducing vomiting. Once his stomach is clean, the vet will give him activated charcoal and run tests on him. The activated charcoal will prevent the binding of the toxin in the body, and the tests will show the damage he has incurred. If your dog is entering acute kidney failure, the vet will start him on fluid therapy too. Raisins are also toxic for dogs. You can read more about how many raisins you can feed your dog, here- How Many Raisins Can Dogs Eat?

Conclusion

Grape poisoning is a serious issue in dogs and is made worse by the fact that it is near impossible to predict. However, the trick is to watch out for the symptoms, and if you identify them as grape poisoning, rush the dog to the vet immediately. Taking timely action can save the dog’s life.

 

Leave a Comment